Who is eligible for the third Economic Impact Payment and what incomes qualify?
Generally, if you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, you are eligible for the full amount of the third Economic Impact Payment if you (and your spouse if filing a joint return) are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a valid Social Security number (see exception when married filing jointly) and your adjusted gross income (AGI) on their tax return does not exceed:
- $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
- $112,500 if filing as head of household or
- $75,000 for eligible individuals using any other filing statuses, such as single filers and married people filing separate returns.
Payments will be phased out – or reduced — above those AGI amounts. This means taxpayers will not receive a third payment if their AGI exceeds:
- $160,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as a qualifying widow or widower
- $120,000 if filing as head of household or
- $80,000 for eligible individuals using other filing statuses, such as single filers and married people filing separate returns.
How much is the third Economic Impact Payment?
Those eligible will automatically receive an Economic Impact Payment of up to $1,400 for individuals or $2,800 for married couples, plus $1,400 for each dependent. Unlike EIP1 and EIP2, families will get a payment for all their dependents claimed on a tax return, not just their qualifying children under 17. Normally, a taxpayer will qualify for the full amount if they have an adjusted gross income of up to $75,000 for singles and married persons filing a separate return, up to $112,500 for heads of household and up to $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns and surviving spouses. Payment amounts are reduced for filers with incomes above those levels.
Determining eligibility for the third Economic Impact Payment
If you need assistance, please let us know as soon as you can.
For a quick consultation, here is our calendar. Please book a time that works for you best.
March 19, 2021
March 19, 2021